6G White Paper on Validation and Trials for Verticals towards 2030’s
6G Research Visions, No. 4, led by Ari Pouttu
This white paper discusses the different business verticals that are expected to gain productivity enhancements with the introduction of B5G/6G wireless services. It is evident that wireless offers benefits when the use case exhibits mobility, requires nomadic behavior or flexibility, and in some situations cost may also be favoring wireless solutions (e.g. retrofitting). However, often a fiber optic solution is still a viable approach.
Based on revenue expansion potential as well as our evaluation of verticals with most significant opportunities, we have chosen for the discussion several vertical businesses along with future software-based testing. These include industry 4.0, future mobility, eHealth, energy, finance and banking, public safety and agribusiness.
In this white paper, we describe drivers in the respective verticals and the expected change. We also highlight the features within the verticals that may require 6G capabilities and consequently make a first attempt to provide a set of key performance and value indicators for the vertical businesses that highlight the divergence in requirements to be experienced in the 2030’s.
We conclude the discussion with proposed guidelines for trialing and validation activities within the verticals to agree upon golden references that provide a baseline against which any system provider can test their solutions. Based on the generated ideas and recommendations, we have formulated critical vertical-specific research questions to be answered during this decade in order to create the foreseen solutions.
This white paper has been written by an international expert group, led by the Finnish 6G Flagship program at the University of Oulu, within a series of twelve 6G white papers published in their final format in 2020.
Pouttu, A. (Ed.). (2020). 6G White Paper on Validation and Trials for Verticals towards 2030’s. 6G Research Visions, No. 4. University of Oulu. http://urn.fi/urn:isbn:9789526226811
Watch the Webinar
- We take a close look on 6G drivers within selected verticals and propose a set of key performance and value indicators
- We propose golden references for trialing within different verticals for commonly measurable results
- Ari Pouttu, University of Oulu, Finland
- Frank Burkhardt, Fraunhofer IIS, Germany
- Cristian Patachia, Orange, Romania
- Luciano Mendes, Inatel, Brazil
- Susanna Pirttikangas, University of Oulu, Finland
- Emery Jou, NCU, Taiwan
- Pasi Kuvaja, University of Oulu, Finland
- Marjo Heikkilä, Centria UAS, Finland
- Tero Päivärinta, University of Oulu, Finland
- Minna Isomursu, University of Oulu, Finland
- Abhishek Thakur, IDRBT, India
- Mika Mäntylä, University of Oulu, Finland
- Simon Watts, Avanti, United Kingdom
- Heidi Himmanen, Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom, Finland
- Lauri Lovén, University of Oulu, Finland
- Harilaos Koumaras, NCSR Demokritos, Greece