Careers for Post-doctoral Researchers
We are now looking for
Postdoctoral Researcher in 6G enabling Sustainable Society / Energy theme
With experience and/or a demonstrated interest in data-driven solutions for energy systems, in particular solutions aimed at reducing the total consumption of energy, as well as associated environmental impacts.
The researcher will join a new transdisciplinary program, 6GESS, focusing on 6G applications for the sustainability of health and energy systems.
We invite applications from candidates across fields and disciplines with strong energy and digitalization research skills, pursuing work across and beyond disciplinary boundaries. We seek scholars conversant in issues and frameworks linked to smart grids, sustainable energy systems, energy efficiency, and flexibility solutions.
Located on the Gulf of Bothnia coast in Northern Finland with over 13,000 students and over 3,000 workers, The University of Oulu is one of the Nordic country’s most prominent universities. It is a global leader in studies of Northern environments and people. The University has recently launched a new multi-faculty strategic research program, “6GESS – 6G Enabled Sustainable Society”. This program capitalizes on 6G Flagship’s technological expertise to develop the scientific framework for a data-driven, hyper-connected future society in which digital eHealth and future energy systems are intertwined.
6GESS looks into new technologies to help energy systems become more democratic and efficient in the future. It also supports energy service providers and citizens to be more involved in developing and using data-driven and digitized solutions. At the same time, the sustainability of data management systems also needs to be considered, including energy consumption and materials usage of components.
The program’s point of departure is that to solve pressing energy challenges, researchers across technical and social sciences must collaborate, engage in impactful and creative scholarship, and include non-scientific community members in their transdisciplinary research endeavors. By bringing together international scholars from across disciplines and encouraging effective public communication of science, 6GESS will promote transdisciplinary and community-minded studies of the 6G in the energy field and ensure that the University remains an international leader in addressing the challenges of ecological change and biodiversity.
What we offer
- The University of Oulu and the 6GESS Research Programme offer a supportive academic environment in a community of committed scholars and the possibility to use funding opportunities to generate new research ideas and help build an innovative and internationally focused program.
- Wellness benefits ePassi, covering sport, culture, and well-being. Read more about other staff benefits.
- Development and career options of the big organization.
- Work that matters and a workplace that promotes flexibility and work-life balance. Read more about working with us.
Primary duties attached to the position:
- Carry out both self-initiated and collaborative research and writing activities that lead to high-quality academic publications
- Collaborate with programme leaders to further the aims of 6GESS, such as organizing thematic conferences or workshops
- Engage in writing and submitting applications for research funding
- Participate in outreach initiatives that engage both academic and non-academic public
- Take part in teaching activities, subject to faculty needs and the successful candidate’s own teaching/research capabilities and interests
What we expect
- A Doctoral degree in a relevant field that was awarded not more than ten years ago
- We invite scholars with a background in the Energy research field to submit applications
- A transdisciplinary research orientation, with work anchored in approaches from across the energy and information technologies and economics
- Capacity to collaborate in research and research dissemination activities
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, especially in English (the working language of the 6GESS research program is English)
The salary will be based on levels 5-6 of the demand level chart for teaching and research staff of Finnish universities. In addition, a personal salary component based on work performance will be paid (a maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). In practice, the gross salary is likely between EUR 3500-4000 per month (before taxes).
How to apply
Interested? If yes, please apply through our recruitment system by 1st of April 2023 (23:59 Finnish local time).
The application should be written in English and include the following:
1) A letter of motivation (max. two pages) summarizing your professional experience and expertise and describing why you are interested in this position, and detailing your research interests, experience, and career plans
2) Brief research plan (max. three pages, excluding references) outlining the research you plan to carry out during the three years of the position. Here you can also suggest a senior scholar in the program who you would like to work with. A list of potential collaborators is provided on our website.
3) Curriculum vitae (max. four pages) in line with the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity
4) List of publications in line with the guidelines of the Academy of Finland
5) Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned copy of the original doctoral degree certificate
6) Contact details of 2-3 persons available to give a personal recommendation [NB: these
people will not be contacted unless you reach the shortlist stage]
Only applications containing all relevant appendices submitted through the online recruitment system by the deadline will be considered. The selection process follows the University of Oulu’s recruitment guidelines and is carried out by a nominated recruitment committee. Candidates will be evaluated based on their overall qualifications and experience, suitability to the work of the 6GESS research program, potential as leading researchers, and ability to collaborate and work with others.
The following criteria will be used for the assessment:
- Scientific merit, including publications and CV in line with the applicant’s career stage and discipline and potential to attract external funding
- Feasibility of the research plan and its suitability to the work of the 6GESS research program
- The extent and nature of transdisciplinarity in the proposed research plan National and international networks
- Societal relevance
The candidates who are considered most suitable will be invited to an on-site or remote interview.
The positions are for a fixed term of three years. The work is due to begin in June 2023 or as negotiated. A probationary period of six months is applied for the positions.
Further details are available from the coordinator of 6GESS.
Sanna Tuomela (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Send us an open application
We are always on the lookout for new talent
We are constantly looking for new talents who want to work with 6G and help us push wireless technology forward. Our key research areas are:
- Wireless Connectivity Solutions
- Devices and Circuit Technology
- Distributed Intelligence
- Human-centric Wireless Services
Send us your open application and help us shape the future of wireless communication!
Apply to work with
Wireless Connectivity Solutions
In this research area you will focus on identifying technological enablers with a team that is interested in ultra-reliable, low-latency communications and the pursuit of 1 Tbps frequency.
Apply to work with
Devices and Circuit Technology
In this research area you will focus on the materials and circuit technologies required to push the operational frequency into the Terahertz communications range.
Apply to work with
In this research area you will investigate how we can leverage modern Al-inspired cloud-type computing close to users and end-user applications more efficiently.
Apply to work with
Human-centric Wireless Services
In this research area you will do multidisciplinary research across verticals. Breakthroughs in this field of research will enable disruptive value networks.
Sign me up!
Open application form
Want to work on 6G and the latest advances in wireless technology? Apply to one of our four research areas and help us shape the future of wireless communication!
NEED MORE CONVINCING?
Learn about working in Finland
Why is Finland the happiest country in the World and what makes Oulu the trailblazer in 6G?