Careers for Doctoral Researchers
We are now looking for
a Doctoral Researcher
to join a new transdisciplinary program – 6GESS – which focuses on 6G applications for health and energy system sustainability.
The University has recently launched a new multi-faculty strategic research program, “6GESS – 6G Enabled Sustainable Society”. This program capitalizes on 6G Flagship’s technological expertise to develop the scientific framework for a data-driven, hyper-connected future society in which digital health and future energy systems are intertwined. 6GESS looks into new technologies to help make healthcare and energy systems more democratic and efficient in the future. It also helps healthcare and energy providers and citizens become more involved in developing and using data-driven and digitized solutions.
The program’s point of departure is that to serve some of today’s pressing healthcare and energy challenges, researchers across the medical, natural, technical, and economic sciences need to collaborate and engage in impactful and creative scholarship and include non-scientific community members as part of their transdisciplinary research endeavors. By bringing together international scholars from across disciplines and encouraging effective public communication of science, 6GESS will promote and ensure the University remains a global leader in addressing the challenges of environmental change and biodiversity.
About the job
Primary duties attached to this position:
- You will conduct self-initiated and collaborative research contributing to your Ph.D. project.
- You will participate in activities that lead to high-quality academic publications.
- You will collaborate with program leaders and other researchers to further the aims of 6GESS, such as organizing thematic events and activities.
- You will also participate in teaching activities, subject to faculty needs and the successful candidate’s interests.
What we offer?
- The University of Oulu and the 6GESS Research Programme offer a supportive academic environment in a community of committed scholars and the possibility to use funding opportunities to generate new research ideas and help build an innovative and internationally focused program.
- Wellness benefits ePassi, covering sport, culture, and well-being. Read more about other staff benefits here.
- Development and career options of the big organization.
- Work that matters and a workplace that promotes flexibility and work-life balance. Read more about working with us.
Who are you?
We invite applications from candidates across fields and disciplines who have strong research skills in technical, medical, and/or health sciences and are interested in pursuing work across and beyond disciplinary boundaries. Suitable candidates have the capability and passion for working on a research project examining, for example, digitalization of care pathways, health data sharing, digital therapeutics, patient and public involvement or advancing the digital competency of health professionals.
We expect from you:
- A master’s degree in a relevant field. We invite scholars with a background in Technology, Information Systems, Software Engineering, Medicine, and Health (or related) research fields to submit applications.
- Fulfilling the requirements set by the University of Oulu Graduate School to successfully apply for doctoral study rights.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, especially English (the working language of the 6GESS research program is English).
The position is for a fixed term of four years. The positions are due to begin on 1.8.2023 or as negotiated. A probationary trial period of six months is applied to the position.
The salary will be based on levels 2-4 of Finnish universities’ demand level chart for teaching and research staff. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (a maximum of 50 % of the job-specific component). Starting gross salary will be approx. 2300-2600 € per month (before taxes). A trial period of 6 months is applied for the position.
How to apply?
Interested? If yes, please apply by 30.4.2023 (23:59 Finnish local time) through our recruitment system.
The application should be written in English and include the following:
- Cover letter (max two pages) summarizing your professional experience and expertise, describing why you are interested in this position, and detailing your research interests, experience, and career plans.
- CV following the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity
- List of publications in line with the guidelines of the Academy of Finland
- Contact information of two persons available for recommendation
The eligible applicants fitting best in the profile expected for the position will be invited to an on-site or remote interview. All applicants will be notified during the selection process.
We welcome applicants from different backgrounds, such as people of different ages, genders, and members of foreign language, cultural, or minority groups.
If you have any further questions, please get in touch with the coordinator of 6GESS, Sanna Tuomela (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Send us an open application
We are always on the lookout for new talent
We are constantly looking for new talents who want to work with 6G and help us push wireless technology forward. Our key research areas are:
- Wireless Connectivity Solutions
- Devices and Circuit Technology
- Distributed Intelligence
- Human-centric Wireless Services
Send us your open application and help us shape the future of wireless communication!
Apply to work with
Wireless Connectivity Solutions
In this research area you will focus on identifying technological enablers with a team that is interested in ultra-reliable, low-latency communications and the pursuit of 1 Tbps frequency.
Apply to work with
Devices and Circuit Technology
In this research area you will focus on the materials and circuit technologies required to push the operational frequency into the Terahertz communications range.
Apply to work with
In this research area you will investigate how we can leverage modern Al-inspired cloud-type computing close to users and end-user applications more efficiently.
Apply to work with
Human-centric Wireless Services
In this research area you will do multidisciplinary research across verticals. Breakthroughs in this field of research will enable disruptive value networks.
Sign me up!
Open application form
NEED MORE CONVINCING?
Learn about working in Finland
Why is Finland the happiest country in the World, and what makes Oulu the trailblazer in 6G?